On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Christopher Spears wrote:

> I'm writing a Perl script where I ask the user a
> question similar to:
>
> Would you like to remove this file?
> Type y or n.
>
> How do I get Perl to receive the answer and act on it?
>  I've been looking in some of my books and noticed
> two ways of receiving input <STDIN> and <>.  What is
> the difference between the two?

<> will read from the files specified as arguments I believe.  I do
this:

print "Would you like to remove this file? (Y/N) ";
my $input = <STDIN>;
if ($input =~ /^[yY]$/) {
   unlink($filename) && print "File '$filename' has been deleted.\n";
}

This requires the user to hit y or Y and then ENTER.  It is possible to
do this without the enter but it takes more work.

--
Kirk Bauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://linux.kaybee.org | www.autorpm.org | www.logwatch.org