[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi all. I would like to write a simple monitoring tool that basically
performs an action on a list of servers (ping, port check, etc) at a
specified time interval. So let's say I want to ping each server every 5
minutes. I don't want to code a loop where I ping all the servers and then
sleep for 5 minutes, and then start over again. Reason this wouldn't work is
because as the list of servers grows and while some pings may time out, the
actual time to go through the loop once would never be the same. So i'm hoping there is some sort of time module that will perform a list of
tasks at a timed interval. While one server may be timing out, it's still
making sure that the others are being checked within the 5 minute time
frame.
If there is no module to help me with this, can anyone offer any other help,
perhaps if you have done something like this in the past?

You could setup cron to run the script once every 5 minutes. Some like the following in your crontab should work:

*/5 * * * *     root    /my/script/to/ping/hosts.pl

--
Andrew Gaffney
Network Administrator