Just a thought... Have you looked at Nagios? I'm pretty sure it is portable to
most OS's. It sounds like a system monitor is your goal. I never really cared
for reinventing the wheel. :-) Also, I'm pretty sure it is written in Perl, but
I could be wrong. Is kinda goofy to configure, but it is very very versatile.