On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Charles K. Clarkson wrote:

> Chris Devers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : In [brief] defense of GOTO, for some programming it is
> : essential. Assembly language programming, for example.
>
>     Since this is a perl list, we can safely assume the
> OP was not asking about assembler's goto statement, but
> about perl's.

Well, yeah :-)

>     Programming in assembler, huh. You're either a
> computer science student, very curious, or really old. :)

The middle one, I guess -- I'm a few years out of school, but not *that*
many years (I finished in the late 90s).

The point was more that everything has a place. With `goto`, that place
in my mind is low level arcana that the average Perl hacker would never
get involved with, e.g. C or assembler (same difference, really).

In Perl, the most common legit use of `goto` seems to be jumping out of
loops, though I wouldn't put it past a clever hacker to do something
useful with it in some other context, if s/he knew what they were doing.
On the whole though, it seems worth avoiding if it all possible.

--
Chris Devers