On 13 Jan 2005 at 7:58, JupiterHost.Net wrote:

> > open (CONTROL1, "<test.cont");
>
> always always test to see if it opened or not: (and don't use double
> quotes when nothgin is beinf interpolated so Perl doesn't have to
> check it to see if somethign needs interpolated)
>
>   open CONTROL1, '<test.cont' or die "Could not open test.cont: $!";

Thanks to everyone who offered help; the script is now working as
intended. But I have one question regarding the testing.

The script will be scheduled to run every Saturday at noon. When that
happens, what happens with the error message? I realize that this is
probably rather obvious to those who have worked at *nix for a while,
but I am as much a *nix beginner as a Perl beginner.

Doug