oops I missed a line:

my $linect="$.";
while ( <FILEHANDLE>) {
      if ( $linect > 9 ) {
            do whatever ...
      }
$linect++;
}

need to use double-quotes around variable $.

thanks for the correction... keeps me on my perl learning toes.

Derek B. Smith
OhioHealth IT
UNIX / TSM / EDM Teams

             Eduardo Vázquez
             Rodríguez
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          To
             orp.com.mx>               "'[EMAIL PROTECTED] '"
                                       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, 'Perl
             02/14/2005 06:20          Beginners ' <beginners@perl.org>

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: Start reading from a specific