How would I get all hosts for a particular domain using Net::DNS?
I tried *.domainname in my query.

thanks,

             "Wiggins
             d'Anconia"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          To
             .org>                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                                                        cc
             03/02/2005 09:15          beginners@perl.org
                                       Re: Net::DNS

John Doe wrote:
> Hi Derek,
> hi all (see below, please help)
>

>>[...]
>>
>>>        my $res = Net::DNS::Resolver->new;
>>>        my $query = $res->query(".ohnet", "NS");
>>>

>>>        if ( $query != 0 or $query != undef or $query != ' ' )  {
>

> Please replace this condition by
>
> if ($query)
>
> I'm to confused at the moment to explain why in detail, sorry...

Your question below answers why.....

> ==================
>
> hi all
>
> while trying to prove by code that the above if condition is incorrect...
>
>    My logic says that a condition in the form
>    if ($a != $val1 or $a != $val2)
>    is always true.

Unless both are false.... which is a basic premise of 'or'.

>    sub test {print "condition is true\n" if $_[0] != 1 or $_[0] != 2}
>    test (1);   test (2);   test (3);
>    # this prints 3 times as expected:
>    condition is true
>
> ... I struggled over something when I included "undef" in some code
tests:

>    print "Oups!\n" if 0==undef;
>    # prints:
>    Oups! # <<<<<<<< ?????
>
> Can anybody please explain this result to me.
>
>    print "Oups!\n" if !defined 0;
>    # prints nothing as expected.

The key here is that the == and != operators put their operands into
numerical context. 'undef' in numerical context resolves to 0. So the
first case is true.  In the second case you are *specifically* checking
for definedness (not matching a value), and 0 *is* defined.

> I thought that a had a clue of perl after using it intensively for years.
> I'm not shure anymore...

Understanding undefined vs. true/false vs. 0 vs. some other value is
definitely a difficult thing to grasp and unusual to HLLs where context
can automagically switch values.

So back to your confusion above, you want to check,

if ($query)

Because 'undef' resolves to false. However, if $query could contain a
false value (namely 0) then you would have to check specifically for
undefinedness,

if (defined $query)

and this becomes a nasty bug when not being paid special attention, but
is also one reason why turning of initialization warnings is often a bad
idea.

Just to blow your mind, look around for "zero but true" ;-)....

http://danconia.org