I will answer and ask all questions in one email!  k.

> $!";
> 5> my @fa =();
> 6> my @ha =();
> 7> my $i =0;
> 8>        foreach (<V4>) {

> Is there any good reason to slurp the entire file into memory?

What would you suggest?  I want to read the entire file via a filehandle.
I have plenty of system memory, therefore why not?

> You are using the match in a boolean context so the /g option makes no
sense.
> 15>               #$fa[$i++] = +(split)[5,6,7] if (m/f01(\d+)/gi );

If I do not use the /g modifier then it will not slurp the entire file or
all instances of F01,  I tried it without /g and it did not work.

>The value of $#fa is not the number of elements in the array, for that you
>want to use the array in scalar context:

>print "Now printing array count \t", scalar @fa, "\n";

>Or:

>print "Now printing array count \t" . @fa . "\n";

In my Learning Perl 2nd edition and Programming Perl 3rd edition, no where
does it say use
scaler @fa to get the element count, rather it says use $#fa.  Is there
something I am unaware of or was $# deprecated recently?

Why is scaler @fa better/more correct than $#fa?

I have been told that my @a = ( ); is more correct than my @a, but now I am
confused b/c others are telling me otherwise???  Personally, I like my @a =
( );
because it lets me know explicitly that this array is now initialized to 0
elements, plus its faster at compile time...KUDOS to John Kran!

>From Jupiter :

> > You do realize that the characters 'F', '0' and '1' are included in the
> character class \w which split() is removing?  :-)

yeah I realized that typo too late :), I meant \s not \w but then plain
old my @tmp = split; is even better :)

But I thought spit by default separates on whitespace?  And F, 0 and 1 are
indeed apart of char classes \w  and \d?

Finally no one has answered my question what does (split)[-1] mean?

thank you!
derek

Derek B. Smith
OhioHealth IT
UNIX / TSM / EDM Teams

             "John W. Krahn"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       Perl Beginners <beginners@perl.org>
             04/27/2005 05:24                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: REGEXP removing - il- - -b-f
                                       and - il- - - - f

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> yes I agree I was a little ambiguous... I was in a hurry. sorry.  Anyway
> here is my updated code. and here is a sample output:
> My goal is to get all F01 which I am but I am having issues capturing all
> of these values into my array.  When I run the I get the data I want to
see
> which is just the F01 column, but when I comment out line 14 and
uncomment
> line 15 and uncomment line 21 I see no data in the array???
> In the end I want the F01 column and the % column.

You only want the two columns, that looks simple enough:

while ( <V4> ) {
     my ( $percent, $f01 ) = /(\d+%).*?(f01\d+)/i or next;
     print "$percent  $f01\n";
     }

>  1     2005/01/20 15:39   17   2%  -il-o-b- - - - -  sg F01000
>    2     2005/01/20 15:53   14   1%  -il-o-b-----  sg F01001
>    3     2005/01/18 09:53    2   0%  -il-o-b-----  sg F01002
>    4     2005/02/04 16:41  196 100%  -il-o-b----f  sg F01003
>    5     2005/02/05 21:13  305 100%  -il-o-b----f  sg F01004
>    6     2005/02/28 22:47  180 100%  -il-o-b-----  sg F01005
>   13     2005/02/08 16:07  112 100%  -il-o-b----f  sg F01006
>   14     2005/02/09 21:56  122 100%  -il-o-b----f  sg F01007
>   15     2005/02/11 10:51  147 100%  -il-o-b----f  sg F01008
>   16     2005/02/13 11:35  193 100%  -il-o-b----f  sg F01009
>   17     2005/02/14 23:46   79 100%  -il-o-b- - - -f  sg F01010

<SNIP>
John
--
use Perl;