Tim Johnson wrote:

I think you need to explain a little better what you're trying to do
here, and what you EXPECT to happen.  For one thing, why are you using
$u as your array index?  Are you sure you don't want a hash?

Well, I was expecting to be able to store numbers in an array so that the indexes would be in sort order. But the numbers prove to be too large.

I've changed it out to a hash and create a seperate array of keys that are sorted:

my @keys = sort { $b <=> $a } keys %hash

And this works just fine.

But I still have some more learning to do on refs...