Hi,
first, I want to thank all who viewed my first question days before, especially to those who took time to answer it. It was trenmendous encouragement for a beginner perlee like me. Thanks again.
            My question:
             Is there a way to call or maybe get the # of files in a directory?
I am trying to build a storage directory for files which automatically empits itself when the # files reaches 50. If there is some commands which do that(like whatever COMMAND(directory) ), the problem would be solved, I then will be OK to program the rest of perl. To be more specific, I have a CGI online page which takes uploaded files(press 'upload' on my website, then upload whatever text files, uaually DNA sequence files) then I need to modify the files a bit then save the files to the STORAGE directory, the directory can't be infinitely increasing, so I need to empty it when the time comes. And I need to keep track of the # of files in that 'damn' directory. Maybe you got better idea about how to store the files to the directory? Let me know then.

               Thank you all for reading my 'junk'.

best,

Bing