Hello,

My perl script requires to invoke external program, however this external program sometimes take forever to complete. The external program accessing /dev/ircomm0 and whenever the IR client was hang or out of range, this program try to search forever making the calling program seems to hang.
Unfortunately, perl needs to be run unatended, scheduled using cron.

My question is, how do I add a timer, so whenever external script did not return results after x seconds just abort the program.

snippet:

----
my @results = `$sms_bin $options --msg="@sms_msg" --number="$rcpt_number" 2>&1`;
---