-----Original Message-----
From: Bryan R Harris [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 11:24 AM
To: Beginners Perl
Subject: Re: array question

>> On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 18:33 +0200, Dr.Ruud wrote:
>>> One exception: the pattern / / does not work like the pattern ' '.
>>
>> But it should, that's my point.
>
>Are you proposing that the special case be removed?  If so, PLEASE NO!
>use that special case in almost every script I write, and if they
removed >it I would probably shed tears over it.

As much as I would hate to make you cry, if I had my way, I'd remove
that as well as the default variable $_.  It would be like the first
time you had to convert all of your scripts to use the strict pragma,
but in the end it would make people's code more legible.  It's the Perl
equivalent of having to remember 'I before E except after C...'.

And before anyone decides to flame me on this, I'm well aware that the
majority of the Perl community would probably disagree, so comment if
you will, but it's just my opinion, I'm not going to try to force anyone
to follow it.