Jeff Stout wrote:
> I need help in extracting specific data from log files.
> The log file has 51 fields I only need 11 fields from
> that file. I need to "open" to a new file output with
> only the data from the 11 fields.

Your code doesn't show which eleven fields you want to output.

> The new file
> will be specific to the customers. I have 10-20 customers
> in each log file I need to create a new log file
> per customer with only the pertinent data.
>
> Here is what I have so for, any suggestions or help with
> this is thoroughly appreciated.
>

> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
> #
> # parselog.pl - Script to split log files by customer
> #
>
> use warnings;

Using both the -w switch and the warnings pragma is redundant.

> my $logfile;            # input log file
> my $media;              # media type
> my %cust;               # hash of all customers found in $logfile
> my $thiscust;           # customer derived from current input line
> my @fields;             # input logfile fields
> my $thiscustlog;        # file handle to current customer's logfile
> my $prefix;             # cust logfile prefix
> my $suffix;             # cust logfile suffix
>

> $logfile = $ARGV[0];
>
> if ( $logfile =~ /WMS/ ) {
>         $media = "wms";
>         $prefix = "/usr/home/script/${media}_cust/";
>         $suffix = ".$media.log";
> } else {
>         die "Unknown file format";
> }
>
> open (LOGFILE, "< $logfile") or die ("Could not open $logfile.");
>
> while (<LOGFILE>) {
>         if ( /^[0-9]/ ) {
>                 @fields = split;
>                 $thiscust = (split /\//, $fields[4])[1];
>                 if ( ! exists ($cust{$thiscust}) ) {
>                         print "customer $thiscust\n";
>                         $cust{$thiscust} = $thiscust;
>                         open ($thiscust, ">> ${prefix}${thiscust}${suffix}")

You are using a string as a filehandle, which is allowed, but not the best way
to do it.

print "customer $thiscust\n";
open my $fh, '>>', "$prefix$thiscust$suffix"
    or die "Cannot open $prefix$thiscust$suffix: $!";
$cust{ $thiscust } = $fh;

>                            or die ("Cannot open
> ${prefix}${thiscust}${suffix}");
>                 }
>                 print $thiscust $_;

You are printing out the complete input line.  Which eleven fields did you
want to print out.

>         }
> }
> foreach $thiscust (%cust) {
>         close $thiscust;
> }

You are iterating through all the keys and values in the hash.  You probably
just want either the keys or the values.

for my $fh ( values %cust ) {
    close $fh;
    }

> exit 0;