The reason I am asking is that I want to print 2 different tables to
the same text file and I don't want to use printf statements. For me
at least, code that uses printf to print something as complex as a
text table is hard to both write and read, hard to understand and hard
to debug. It's also ugly, to boot :)

My current workaround is to close the file, reopen in append mode with a
different filehandle name and define the second format with this name.
Ugly, but works. Any other/better solutions?

Hello,
I think there are not relation between your implement and the filehandle.
To avoid the fact that I have been wrong for understanding your meaning,maybe you would paste some of your codes here.