Randal

I'm in two minds as to whether to just let this go as it had gone on for too
long, but I will try just once more to explain my true stance, which you seem
keen to obfuscate.

(Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:

> Rob> Not much chance of that I'm afraid Shawn. I can do without the apology, I
> Rob> just wish he'd confirm that his original critique was wrong instead of
> Rob> banging on about filenames with three dots. I think leaving people with
> Rob> that misinformation uncorrected is a lot more important.
>
> My original critique was wrong.  I mistook /^[.]/ for /[^.]/.
> So your post was wrong, but I said it was wrong for the wrong reasons.

You also claimed the rest of my post was incorrect, wouldn't work and hadn't
been tested. You were wrong on all counts, and clearly didn't choose to test the
code yourself.

> That still doesn't solve the problems I addressed about your post elsewhere,
> nor that you had to go three rounds with me in private email repeatedly
> looking for some way to "save" your original post from being labeled wrong.

The quotes are yours: I was indeed trying to save it from the allegations of
your incorrect response. My original post was not wrong as you described it, but
only insofar as it discarded three-dot files. In context even that can only be
considered a problem with portability as the OP used a Windows system where such
files cannot exist. And I didn't 'go three rounds' with you - I didn't consider
it a fight and am surprised if you did.

> I'm here for the group.  I want people to walk away from this list knowing how
> to code *better* Perl.  Your post distracted from that.  I have nothing
> against you personally, but your behaviors distract from my goal, and will be
> called for what they are.

Randal, there are ways to correct people without being abusive and creating this
monstrous storm of debate. Had your initial response been to correct just the
incorrect filename filtering I doubt you would have seen an opportunity to be so
vehement, and I think it is clear that defamatory posts also serve to distract
from teaching people better Perl. Please try to be civil with your criticism and
make this list a better place to learn and to impart what we know.

Rob