"Rod Burgess" schreef:

Your Subject has no quality. Please come up with something like "convert
data lines".

> I am new to the Perl world and am trying to learn it.  A coworker
> tells me that Perl will not work for what I am trying to do however,
> I think Perl would be a great tool to use and  I feel this coworker
> is wrong.
> I have a file that contains several lines all as below:
> DR03555{tab}    45600062888{tab}     00008FLAT WASHER
> DR03555{tab}    228765329{tab}        00001GASKET
>
> The meaning of the file is
> DR03555 = order number
> 45600062888 = part number
> 00008 = quantity
> FLAT WASHER = Description
>
> The lines all begin with the prefex DR  I would like to read this
> file and produce the following output:
>
> 45600062888;8;FLAT WASHER
> 228765329;1;GASKET
>
> basiclly I need a file that lists the following:
> Part#;Quantity;Description
>
> Is this possible with Perl?

Certainly.

#!/usr/bin/perl
# ID: pqd.pl
  use warnings ;
  use strict ;

  while ( <> )
  {
      and print "$1;", 0+$2, ";$3\n" ;
  }

If your data is in pqd.in, and pqd.pl is execuable, then just run it as

  pqd.pl pqd.in

--
Affijn, Ruud

"Gewoon is een tijger."