DJ Gruby wrote:
Hi people!

I wanted to install "PAR" module, but at "make" step during the
installation, I'm getting the following error:

my_par_pl.c(3) : error C2026: string too big, trailing characters truncated
my_par_pl.c(3) : error C2026: string too big, trailing characters truncated
my_par_pl.c(3) : error C2026: string too big, trailing characters truncated
my_par_pl.c(3) : error C2026: string too big, trailing characters truncated
my_par_pl.c(3) : error C2026: string too big, trailing characters truncated
my_par_pl.c(3) : error C2026: string too big, trailing characters truncated
my_par_pl.c(3) : error C2026: string too big, trailing characters truncated
my_par_pl.c(3) : error C2026: string too big, trailing characters truncated
my_par_pl.c(3) : error C2026: string too big, trailing characters truncated
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\VC7\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

After a little research, I found the explanation of this error:

"The string was longer than the limit of 16380 single-byte characters."

And indeed, we can see this inside "my_par_pl.c" code:

unsigned long size_load_me_2 = 19867;
const char load_me_2[19868] = ...

Is it possible that the CPAN module itself has errors, which its authors
haven't even noticed?

Please tell me. Any kind of help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

This is a compiler limitation on string literals, not character arrays: you can
have strings longer than that but you have to concatenate multiple shorter ones.
If you're willing to alter the source code yourself and you can find the
offending string could probably fix things by splitting it in two.

If your string looks like:

 char *str = "too long";

you can work around it by writing

 char *str = "too " "long";