Hi,

I am trying to parse a file and extract some names. The data has come
with some odd characters in, and these characters are sandwiched in
the middle of the string I am trying to extract.

If i open the file in text editor it looks like this:

 JON DAVIES/JIM  REED

That leading space is translated by my mail client but in hex mode on
my editor its '0a'. I have managed to remove the characters if they
are at the beginning with a s/^\W// but I am struggling to find them
when they are in the whitespace between names. vim show them as ^A
and my winVI show them (in ANSI mode) as \A0:

MIKE \A0 \A0 \A0HOLLINGSHEAD/JIM        REED

I am pretty sure this is a job for tr but I can't determine the
correct values to use.

Any ideas anyone?
TIA.
Dp.