My experience was that "Learning Perl" was the introduction that
prepared me to tackle "Programming Perl". That combination gave me a
very good general understanding of the language and how to apply it.
After that, there are a number of other factors that had to be taken
into account before selecting the next book(s).

Bob McConnell