Ayesha wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Thanks to all who replied to my question yesterday. I am using perl-
> express IDE to write a small perl code. Sometimes the code runs for a
> long time (infinite loop logical error), I close the editor but
> realize that the computer is suddenly running slow. So I have to go to
> task manager and close perl.exe (eating 99% of CPU at that time). I
> wanted to know is there any break execution when using perl-express,
> and on Unix (since I use both types of OS).
>
> Thanks
> Ayesha

Closing the editor doesn't sound like a good start since the editor and
the running script would be 2 distinct but related processes.  There
should be a break option somewhere near the option that you use to
execute the script (maybe a debug menu).  In Unix the standard Ctrl-C
interrupt should work.  In either case if the script isn't being
responsive (which may be likely if there's bad control logic in it) it
may ignore interrupt signals in which case use process manager in
Windows (as you did), or a kill command in Unix.  The best way to handle
this situation is to make sure you don't get into them...one of the
reasons they are so frowned upon (and you shouldn't just accept
intermittent infinite loops) is because once they get going there may be
no nice solution to stop them.