Playing around with this, indeed, proves it can be done:

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
use Data::Alias;
my $hashref = { a => 5, b => 8};
alias my %hash = %{$hashref};
print $hash{a} , "\n";

prints 5. (And \%hash == $hashref evaluates true.)

I knew that Data::Alias existed -- it's mentioned in Perl Best Practices -- but at least to me, the documentation seemed to imply that it couldn't do this, or that it would act like "many scalar assignments in parallel".

Thanks!