"Jeff Pang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Dec 3, 2007 12:51 PM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> "Jeff Pang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> > mhh? It won't print a newline, it even won't print anything.
>> > b/c @ar is empty,  for(...) doesn't go into it, 'print' won't be happened.
>>
>> Yeah your right... (what was I thinking...) but my point was that it
>> seems perl  should say something about this.  It seams at least as
>> significant as trying to use an undeclared var.
>>

> which value was undeclared? the "$_" one? this is a built-in variable
> in perl, it doesn't need to be declared.
> anyway, you didn't use an undeclared value, so perl won't warn it.

No, no, I didn't make myself clear.  I'm saying running into a for
loop array that has no value seems to me to be at least as significant
as running into a variable that is undeclared.  But the undeclared var
will invoke a warning while the empty AR in a for loop will not.

But someone has already answered that Larry Wall and all the perl
devel people have run into many places were choice had to be made
about issuing warning.... The empty for loop didn't make the cut.