Quite some time ago, someone suggested that if I was using cygwin perl instead
of activestate perl, I could use some additional features (not available in
activestate) concerning the control of cron jobs.

So I am using cygwin perl which does not give you the option of installing
elsewhere.

But that is not the problem anyway because there are no spaces in
c:\cygwin\lib\perl5 (the location where perl is installed, I think).

The problem is either hardcoded in CPAN.pm or in some little file in ~/.
Something is probably expanding $HOME and not quoting the result. I looked in
CPAN.pm but could not figure out where it is untaring it. I looked in ~/ for a
configuration file with no luck.

Is there a place to log a bug with CPAN?

Gunnar: I tried your suggestion and that worked for Date::Manip but I was
quickly overwhelmed with DateTime as there were many dependencies to download
first.
Brian: I see you are the author of CPAN. Do you have any suggestions? Scroll
way down for the log where I reproduce it on windows/cygwin.
Thanks,
Siegfried