From: "Dr.Ruud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Octavian:
>> Yitzle:
>
>>> 1) If you are interested in learning to program for the sake of
>>> programming (vs getting XYZ done), Perl probably isn't the best first
>>> choice. (Not that its the last choice or anything, but not first.)
>>> I'd personally advocate C/C++ or maybe Java. Maybe make Perl a third
>>> choice ;)
>>
>> Why?
>> I use perl as my primary programming language and I've made web apps
>> with it, desktop apps for Windows, portable desktop apps for Windows
>> and Linux. If I don't need to work in a very big team of programmers
>> and I don't need the programming language to force us all to use the
>> same style and syntax, why should I use C++ or Java?
>
> Yitzle, who was dearly missing from the attribution section in your
> posting, mentioned Perl as not being his first choice for *learning* to
> program. Now read his reply again.
>
> --
> Affijn, Ruud

Oh yes I'm sorry. I didn't understand it well. The problem is not the
"learning" part, but "using it for the sake of programming only".
Perl it is also very good for learning, unless the programmer intends to learn
some other programming languages.

If someone starts with perl is very fine, but if that person will want to learn
other programming languages, he might consider them all very strange and
different, so Yitzle is right.

Octavian