On Nov 1, 6:57 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John W. Krahn) wrote:
> slow_leaner wrote:
> > On Oct 31, 10:27 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Slow_leaner) wrote:
>
> >> Is there a way I can marge FILE2 into FILE1 or reverse together
> >> without creating a new merge file. I am not sure there are a better
> >> way to do it. If you give me some hint or help, i would appreciate
> >> it.
> >> thx.
> >> Here is my code.
>
> >> #!/bin/usr/perl
>
> >> open(FILE1, /usr/test1.txt);
> >> @temp =<FILE1>;
> >> close (FILE1);
>
> >> open(FILE2, /usr/test2.txt);
> >> @temp =<FILE2>;
> >> close (FILE2);
>
> > Let me just add this to be clear.
> > I am so beginner, almost 4 moths, and not getting anywhere with perl.
> > I need some fire in my heart to keep me going. I just want someone to
> > show me how to fish but not to give me a fish. So all experts out
> > there please give me some hint.
>
> > this is what I would like to do.
> > I know how to read one file into array. BUT
>
> > 1. I would like to merge 2 logs file into array lets called
> > @array_of_logs. I might be add more logs file into this array later.
> > So that i can just type the another log file in to array without
> > writing another open close code.  # my most difficult part.
>
> my @array_of_logs = do {
>      local @ARGV = (
>          '/usr/test1.txt',
>          '/usr/test2.txt',
>          );
>      <>
>      };
>
> > 2. matching the pattern that i have in array called  @matching_list =
> > qr(a|b|test|go\thome|)      #know how to match.
>
> my @matching_list = grep /go\thome|test|[ab]|/, @array_of_logs;
>
> > 3. email it to me if match any. (not sure what man page i should be
> > reading for)
>
> perldoc Email::Send
> perldoc Mail::Send
> perldoc Net::SMTP
>
> John
> --
> Perl isn't a toolbox, but a small machine shop where you
> can special-order certain sorts of tools at low cost and
> in short order.                            -- Larry Wall

thanks for your reply and help Dr Ruud and John.
I am still reading about send mail in perl. but so far here is my
code.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
$my_patterns = qr { BPDU|FAN_FAIL|ERROR|his };
@array_logs = qw( /mydocs/temp.txt
                               /mydocs/temp2.txt
                               /mydocs/temp3.txt
                              );
for ( @array_logs){
 open (IN, "$_") or die "can't open file $_";
 while (<IN>){
  if (/$my_patterns/){
   print "$_";
 close (IN);