On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 14:43 -0400, Golam Mortuza Hossain wrote:
> Since, usability is the main issue, I also agree with Deepayan on
> relocation
>
> of 'hasant'.   [ \ ] intuitaviely resembles more like actual hasanta
> than
> current [ / ].

This point has occurred to me too, time and again. If [\] does anything,
that should be 'hasanta'. But there is a problem. While typing, all the
more used things should always be within the three main rows. Use of
'hasanta' is not at all that common in modern Bangla, but the other job
that is done by [/] now is conjoining, and that is pretty common, almost
once every word in average, or even more than that. And moving just the
little finger of the right hand helps in keeping up the speed, that will
not be true for [\], every time for a conjoined letter right palm will
get physically moved, when the bases of both the palms are fixed on the
table, that is the natural position of the palms, and the healthy one
for typing for long periods of time (ergonomic too). By just stretching
the right little finger you cannot get [\]. You have to move it. This is
true for both the keyboards I use, the TVS-Gold (it is a quite reputed
one) and even the cramped keyboard of the Acer Aspire 3002 laptop. So, I
think it will be true for any keyboard. This speed thing is so very
important for the heavy bulk Bangla writers. So, I think, in no way it
will be prudent at all to give the conjoining function to the [\] key.

-1