Jackie,

Good question! Umbilical hernias are extremely common in Berners, and most
of the time it is something that never bothers the dog. (We would probably
pay a great deal more attention to it if there weren't much bigger issues to
worry about!) Here are the statistics from the BMDCA health survey, out of

249 Umbilical hernias
  1 – strangulated
  2 – needed repair
28 – repair not needed, done anyway
11 – resolved no surgery

Two of my 3 berners had hernias, one was small the other about the size of a
pecan, neither ever had a problem with them, although I always checked them
frequently.

Pat Long (& Luther)
Berwyn PA