In a message dated 11/5/2002 10:18:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> To those of you who use Flexi leads, in your opinion,
>  is the cord lead sufficiently strong to stop a
>  determined 115 lb Berner in his tracks if need be,

I'd be more concerned about your shoulder holding up than the flexi chord ;-}

So long as it's not chewed, the flexi chord is very strong...but seriously,
you have to use a flexi with care.  Unchecked, your dog can build up quite a
head of steam in that 16 ft resulting in either injury to you or a dropped
leash.

I use flexis all the time, but I do keep an eye out for squirrels, other
dogs, other people...and I keep an eye on my dog's body language.  The point
of all this 'awareness' is to get my dog focused on me BEFORE he takes off
after a squirrel or in tangled up (in play or otherwise) with another dog.
By and large, my dogs know to control their pace while on the flexi, but if
one starts gaiting out...I alway use the leash 'brake' BEFORE they get to the
end.  This helps to control them and keep my shoulder intact (no laughing
matter after 14 weeks of PT, cortisone injection, and still the possibility
of surgery).

or
>  would the lead that is webbed its entire length be a
>  wiser investment?

I know plenty of people who've bought the webbed flexi, but no one who uses
it <g>.
The problem is that it's very heavy and cumbersome...most people just don't
like it.

-Sherri Venditti