In a message dated 11/6/2002 3:06:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Proper positioning means everything.

OTOH... <g>

My regular vet, a typical suburban practice (ie: not a lot of breeders), did
hip xrays for me under full anesthesia.  OFA wan't happy with the positioning
and asked that they be re-submitted.  I didn't want to put my boy out again
so I broough him to a vet an hour+ away to shoot the films without anesthesia.

10 minutes later, he trotted down the hall to me...no meds at all...xrays
went into OFA, no problem.

I had OFA return the film and I compared it to the shot my own vet took under
anesthesia.  The 'no meds' xray was FAR better, in both positioning and
clarity.

Assuming a fairly cooperative dog, I think practice makes perfect.  A vet or
tech that does many xrays for orthopedic evaluation will do a better job than
someone who's usually doing it to confirm crippling dysplasia in a pet
dog....with or without meds.

-Sherri Venditti