O.K. All.... enough already.

#1... The owner of the NJ berner that was up for
rescue should be commended for realizing that she was
getting more than she bargained for, and she DID call
rescue for help.   Positive factor #1.

#2...  Rescue was very quick to respond to the woman's
needs with both, someone to take the dog and someone
to offer assistance and a listening ear.  Positive
factor #2.

#3...  The owner did not just take the easy way out
and give up the dog.  She decided to listen to the
assistance that was offered her and is trying to find
a way to make the relationship with the dog what they
hoped for all along.  This dog was a wanted and much
sought after dog!  Positive factor #3.

#4...  The owner has attempted to contact the breeder.
 At the time this was originally posted to the list
she had not yet reached the breeder, but... that does
NOT indicate ANYTHING AT ALL about the breeder!!!!!
Just that she was not available to answer the phone.
The owner is to be commended for thinking of the
breeder first!  Positive factor #4.

So...... PLEASE stop commenting on the breeder, one
way or another.  Seems to me, that if there are
concerns regarding anyone involved with Bernese Mtn
Dogs, that they should be addressed through the parent
club that oversees the welfare of the breed.  Most
breed club memberships come with a commitment to
adhere to a code of ethics. If there is a problem...
that is the proper, and most effective, way to address
it.

As far as the "rescue" goes......  thank heaven for
the wonderful people that we have running the rescue
program!  Not only are they there to physically rescue
dogs that are in need of assistance, but they are
there to assist and educate owners.   They spend
countless hours listening and helping!   That is, by
far the greatest thing that anyone can do for the
breed.  And........ from what I have seen in the past
few months, this group out here in the Jersey area is
exceptional.  Remember that not everyone that calls a
rescue coordinator is truely in need of having their
dog physically removed.  Frequently they are
exasperated with behaviors and are at a lose as to how
to modify them.  Sometimes.... it's just plain and
simple education and support to an owner with a
"terrible teen."

So... please, please, please.... Hug your local
volunteers, commend those who have the courage to
reach out and ask for help, and try to avoid looking
for blame when in reality there is non to be found.
Lets all be proactive, positive, and supportive.

There are lots of positive things going on with this
particular dog.   Who knows what the future will hold,
but..... it is wonderful to see the process that is
allowing for the best interests of the dog, and so
many people working together.

O.K.  I'll shut up and go watch the football games.

Barb