----- Original Message -----
From: "Deborah" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I have been owned by 8-week old Henley for two days now and I have a few
> of what will no doubt be many questions! 1. In the literature I received
> from the breeder, it's recommended to not let my berner up and down
> stairs until he's a year old.  There are no stairs in my apartment, but
> I do have five steps off the front and back porches.  Should I be sure
> to carry him up and down those until I can't pick him up anymore?

Ok, I would suggest that you not allow the puppy to tear up and down the
steps frequently and play on them, but that you teach him to negotiate the
steps at a reasonable pace both up and down. Having known someone who tried
to teach a frightened and stubborn 100+ lbs adult dog to do stairs, I can
only say having it be No Big Deal is preferably in my book.  I would limit
his stair climbing (I blocked ours off and the puppies went up the steps at
night to go to bed, and came down in the morning to spend the day in the
lower rooms of the house) but I think five steps *walked* up and down are
not a problem. Of course, I am not your breeder nor do I play her on TV. :-)

>2. I
> would like to teach him how to retrieve.  Any suggestions?
Like, formal retrieve or play a game?

> 3. An acronym question - PPO.  I think I used to be a PPO because I was
> a potential owner?  I'm just curious what it means.  Am I now a DHBM?
Potential Poopy, er, Puppy Owner . . . perhaps are you now a PO???? =8-0

---