Deborah,

Congradulations on your new little one!
1. In the literature I received from the breeder, it's recommended to not let my berner up and down stairs until he's a year old. Should I be sure to carry him up and down those until I can't pick him up anymore? Mark my word . . you will not be able to carry a 10 month old berner up and down stairs. And an eight week old pup will not be able to manage most steps, so you'll have to carry the pup. If you carry Henley up and down stairs throughout his life how will he ever learn to manipulate stairs by himself.
2. I would like to teach him how to retrieve. Any suggestions? Bernese are not natural retreives but they are eager to please and a quick study. Start young - find, bring, give - are all great commands to help with retreiving. Make it fun and start with a great toy.
3. An acronym question - PPO. Potential Puppy Owner.

-Denise