Mike

As you likely already know, what you're experiencing with your 12 week old
pup is normal.  In fact, what you're experiencing is normal at my house with
youngsters much older than yours. :-)  Until youngsters I'm rearing have
developed (through training) a higher level of self discipline, their
attempts to manipulate me into directing more attention to them than I have
within my capabilities seem endless!

Your chosen method of addressing the immediate situation may likely prove
adequate.  But don't be surprised if Sophie becomes more inventive in her
ways of getting your attention (away from Bart.). :-)   This is the way it
goes with my own Berner pups.  Their inventiveness in getting my attention
never ceases to amaze me.

Dogs, especially Berners, generally like to do things with their people.
Giving them opportunities to serve us willingly develops their inate desire
to do it more and more and more.  Teaching tricks to our dogs is fun and
offers opportunities to indulge them with attention which requires a
response to get more attention.:-)  Each time a dog responds willingly (in
the manner we'd like) to our request to "do something," we're developing
that dog's desire to do more for us.

With my own dogs, if the tricks are a little beyond the ordinary we both
take special delight in them. Having a significant repertoire of tricks in
their bag....the kind of tricks I WANT them to know :-) makes some really
smart dogs seem to feel special and singled out as special.

Your pup sounds very smart and I'd encourage you now to step up her training
in areas of self discipline and to practice living with her in a manner in
which expectations become a daily way of life with her.  Self discipline
exercises, once taught, do not have to be done in a rote sort of way. They
simply become part of daily life and routine.  They might include

a) waiting at all doorways, not rushing or bumping into others going through
the door
b) waiting to dive into the supper bowl until directed
c) waiting momentarily and quietly for the next trick command to be issued

Consider looking around the bookstore or the Internet bookstores and find a
book on training dogs to do tricks.  If you choose to start teaching your
baby pup some of the simpler tricks, she will probably enjoy them throughout
life.

You're going to have a hoot at puppy class!  It's the most fun class to
teach because, as an instructor, every single puppy teaches me a new trick!

Good luck with your Berner baby.

Ruth Reynolds
Pioneer Bernese
www.jersey.net/~mountaindog/rar