In a message dated 11/29/2002 8:54:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I know here in the states there is a new test kit that tests for both
Ehrlichiosis & Heartworm  called "SNAP"  not sure what the accronym stands
for. >>

I recently had a very sick Berner boy whose SNAP came back high positive for
Lyme when he first entered emergency care.  His symptoms were more like
Ehrlichiosis, bleeding gums, high liver enzymes, etc.  Blood was sent to NCSU
for full titers which all came back negative.  Took about a week for the
results.  The doxycycline treatment didn't hurt him, but fortunately the ER
vets were thorough and continued to search for the cause of his illness which
at best guess at this point is a bacterial infection.

In the future I will treat if the SNAP is positive and the dog responds
quickly to the doxy, but if I get repeated positives and don't have a
symptomatic dog, I may invest in the full titer, and based on the
recommendation of the ER vets, NCSU has the most reliable results.

Carol Lingley
Ijamsville, MD