It took me a while to teach my Berners to use the new doggie door I installed in the kitchen - it took almost a month before they got the hang of it and would use it without me being there, encouraging them, partly opening the flap, etc. NOW - they LOVE IT - It just takes time & patience & encouragement -

My new little Cavaliers use it, too - although they stand back and wait for the big guys to finish, then they go through - they don't want that swinging flap to slap them in the face! <grin>

Joan Robinson