Kerry-

I think the answer to your question is a very individual one.  Hopefully the
advice you get will help you and your husband decide what will work for you.
For me, personally, it was baby first.  It was also a looong time ago.  I
waited until my first child was 2 years old to add a dog to the family.  I
believe, and I'm sure some will disagree, that it is easier to add a dog to
a family with a small child, than a small child to a family with a dog.  Of
course, the  temperament of the dog has a lot to do with the acceptance of a
new child.  If you decide dog first, find a breeder who will help you find a
pup that they feel will do well when baby arrives.   I believe very stongly,
that dogs raised with children have a better chance of learning
child-tolerance and respect than a dog that has not and then is asked to
accept another "pack" member.    I also have know of two beloved family
dogs-one rehomed, one euthanized because of it's intolerence of the new
child.   It is also important that you and you husband, as parents of both
the pup and child realize that it is your job to make it work.  Small
children need constant vigilence amd training around puppies, as puppies and
older dogs need socialization, training and viglience around small children.
I would also not advise, which ever "first" happens, that you wait until you
are confident you can handle the "other".

As for the ticking clock, both scenarios will be exhausting.  Sorry.<G>.  Of
course, you also have no idea of what "Mother Nature" and the ticking clock
will decide, so eventually that may need to be factored in as well

 Janice Parky