I had two adult dogs when I had my first child.  A German shepherd(who was
my guide dog puppy who did not pass the program...was too obedient..would
not do the intelligent disobedience to keep the person from getting run over
by a car...you told him to go he was going..car or not :-) ).  He was
completely trust worthy with kids as he had been extremely well socialized
with all types of people and situations.  We also had a Aussie mix who was
just lovable to everyone, didn't have a mean bone in his body.  We got our
rescue golden when she was about 10 months old and our second(and last)
child was about six months old (They are now BEST buddies).  Our Aussie mix
got out on the fourth of July (We had the dogs in the house and had I just
let them out for a second for a last pee before we went to bed and he split)
we searched and searched and the next day when I was out putting up flyers
we got a call from the vet.  He had been hit by a car :-(.  We got
Brina(BMD) when my kids were 2 1/2 and 1.  She is wonderful with the kids
and loves to hang out with them when they play outside.  I feel very secure
about my childrens safety when the dogs are with them.  I have no doubt that
they would lay their lives down to protect our children.  I think children
and dogs are a wonderful mix IF the temperment of the dog is right and you
train each of them to respect the other one.  I have the cutest picture of
our son, Billy, and Brina sleeping together under the kitchen table.  He
just crawled under there with her and fell asleep on her tummy!
Stephanie Heeter and Brina