Bernese Mountain Dog Mailing List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
BERNER-L Digest 4174

Topics covered in this issue include:

1) Re: Berner-less NO MORE!
by "Ray & Pat Burgett"
2) Re: Neutering studies?
by "Ray & Pat Burgett"
3) Re: 2 am wake up
by "Ray & Pat Burgett"
4) Re: Allergies
by "A. Sufi"
5) Re: Neutering studies?
by "A. Sufi"
6) re: dog with neuro. problem
by "Lisa D Allen"
7) Re: Neutering studies? Part 1
by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
8) RE: Aeryn antics
by Rose Tierney
9) Re: Neutering studies? Part 2
by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
10) Re: Neutering studies? Part 3
by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
11) Re: Neutering studies? Part 4 (short & sweet)
by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
12) RE: Bruise?
by Rose Tierney
13) RE: chasing tails
by Rose Tierney
14) RE: dandruff problems
by Rose Tierney
15) RE: Champion Budman
by Rose Tierney
16) chocolate and other foods to avoid
by "jennifer970"
17) RE: Carob
by "Chris &/or Dave River"
18) RE: Follow up on removing water from crate at night
by "Nancy Melone"
19) Re: Carob
by "Mike Alexander"
20) Re: puppy issues
by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
21) What kind of Dog is that?
by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
22) CVBMDC carting workshop
by "Laurie Farley"
23) RE: Bernese in Petshop update
by Rose Tierney
24) RE: Bernese in Petshop update
by Rose Tierney
25) RE: 2 am wake up
by Rose Tierney
26) RE: Bernese Mountain Dog with Neurologic problems! please help!
by Rose Tierney
27) Elbow surgery
by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
28) MR and MRS Sir POOPS ALOT (BMD)
by "Ed and Denise z"
29) Neurologist appointment for your puppy
by Maureen Barry
> ATTACHMENT part 2.1 message/rfc822 From: "Ray & Pat Burgett"
To: "Valerie Whitman" ,
"Bernese Mountain Dog Mailing List"
Subject: Re: Berner-less NO MORE!
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 22:14:05 -0800

Thank you Valerie & Tod for giving Boomer the best forever home we could
ever have asked for. It was hard to let the BOO go as like you said he is a
great dog and should fit into your plans very well.
He loved Monday night football as there was always popcorn for him to try
and catch. It would bounce off his nose or the top of his head and then he
had to hunt for it.

He also loved to chase a rolling tennis ball when we played with little Max
but with his size it was sort of like a Bull In A China Shop when he went
after it. :-))

We have our new male puppy as we kept the pick of our current litter.

EAGLECAPS SHADOW RIDER Call name " Rider"

Ray & Pat, missing the BOO but we have our hands full with "Rider"

Ray & Pat Burgett Eaglecap Bernese
Talee,Lexi,,Bell,Rider & Max
www.goodbernerfood.com
http://users.eoni.com/~eaglecap/
Draminski Ovulation Detector Rep
To: ,
Subject: Re: Neutering studies?
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 22:24:14 -0800

Here are is a link to information about your question,

http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/ceps/ivb/spay-neu.htm

We do our companion puppies at 8 weeks of age before they go to their new
home.

Ray & Pat Burgett Eaglecap Bernese
Talee,Lexi,,Bell, Rider & Max
www.goodbernerfood.com
http://users.eoni.com/~eaglecap/
Draminski Ovulation Detector Rep
> ATTACHMENT part 2.3 message/rfc822 From: "Ray & Pat Burgett"
To: "Terry & Cathy Bering" ,
"berner-lprairienet.org"
Subject: Re: 2 am wake up
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 22:46:11 -0800

If after going out at 11:00 PM and then she wakes up at 2:00 AM I would pick
her up if she will not follow you on a leash, carry her outside and walk
around with her till she goes. Now if indeed she does not have to go, try
putting her crate next to your bed and when she pulls the 2 AM bit,, trying
thumping the create with a rolled up newspaper and telling her quiet in a
firm voice.

If you feel that thumping the crate is to harsh, have a RAW Beef Rib bone or
RAW Beef knuckle bone handy and give that to her. The bones keep them busy
for some time. Make sure you trim the excess fat off the bones if they are
not used to Beef Bones. Notice I said RAW not cooked.

Our Puppies get beef bones as soon as they start getting their teeth.

From: "A. Sufi"
Subject: Re: Allergies

Zeus went through exactly what your boy is going through, and I tried
everything.
We did end up giving him cortizone, but only as a short term "band aid".
At one point his licking, scratching and chewing was so bad that the vet
immediately give him cortizone by injection, and then put him on antibiotics
for a week because he had created so many raw spots on his legs, ankles &
paws.
What really worked beautifully is switching him to a dried food called
AvoDerm. I also shampoo him with AvoDerm medicated shampoo,
leaving it on for 10 minutes to really penetrate the fur and relieve the
itching skin. The Vet recommended this brand of food and shampoo, and
we started Zeus right after his cortizone shot (and when he just started his

10 day antibiotics regime), so that his skin was more comfortable and able
handle the transition. The BARF diet has always intrigued me, but because
AvoDerm has worked so wonderfully to clear up Zeus' itching, I am
really hesitant to change anything.
I empathize with what you're going through, because it's hard to watch
your furbaby so obviously uncomfortable.
Mention the AvoDerm to your Vet and see what he/she thinks about it.
On a side note, I don't believe I've heard this brand mentioned on the
Berner-L before, is it not widely available, or is there something I'm not
aware of?Any opinions about AvoDerm from all of you experienced
Berner moms/dads?
Good luck Emily-Jayne,

Antoinette & Zeus
San Ramon, Ca.
SF Bay Area

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:59:20 +1100

Hi
Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with their BMD suffering
allergies in Spring/Summer? My boy has been licking his feet red raw and
biting and pulling at his pads and fur. It is actually quiet disturbing to
watch. He has been to the vet who put him on a course of antibiotics, but
said the next step would be quarterzone which i am reluctant to do as he is
quiet young.
Anyway would love to hear your stories and advice.
Cheers
Emily-Jayne Drew
Australia

From: "A. Sufi"