----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 7:25 PM
Subject: christmas visitor

> hi there, i'm just wondering what to do in this situation.  i have an 8
month old BMD who has been around dogs all her life.

***she is at a point in her development where puppies commonly begin to
assert themselves in more of a leadership role amongst their peers.

  i have two other mutts who are 5 and 6 and she adores them.  i also walk
dogs so she has been around all those dogs forever.  now i have these other
dogs stay with me sometimes--she is fine with these two girl dogs that have
stayed here a few times since she was very little.

***these dogs are all familiar as a family of friends and each knows his/her
place in the group

 but this holiday i am taking care of a boy vizsla who i have had since he
was 6 months old, he's 4 years old now, for 3 weeks.  she loves him when we
go out hiking and they're fine.  he is extremely submissive to everyone,
too.  he just likes to run and be chased.  well, today i brought him home
for a trial run to see how he was in my place and she was a total jerk.

***He is on HER territory.  He, like you, expected her to accept him as he
does in neutral territory.

every time he walked by, her lip would raise.  i have a basket of bones that
i leave out and she snapped at him for no reason when he sort of went near
it and he totally cried.

***there was GOOD reason in her mind.  The basket of bones belongs to the
family, NOT an interloper.

she doesn't do this to the other dogs i take care of that she also knows.

***I suspect you WOULD see some of this behavior were they to come over at
this time.  I think you've not likely seen it before because she was not
progressed to this stage of development where she is asserting all authority
the others will give her.

 every afternoon when i come home to take my shower, she lays in the
bathroom with me.  well, today the vizsla was nervous so he came in there
and i was petting him and she got all jealous and came over to be pet and
snapped at him again.

***HER territory?  Or yours.  Time for this girl to go back into basic
training so she understands that she is to accept all those things in YOUR
home that YOU want accepted.  She is a little "too big for her britches"
which is a common thing for dogs (and kids) to go through.

 he got so scared he wouldn't walk by her for the rest of the afternoon and
she was very cocky.

**well of course.  She had her way and was proud of it and wasn't about to
give an inch of superiority ground she had gained.

but he did take a bone and start chewing on it and she just looked at him
and got another one.

***Good.  She is telling him, I CAN let you have a bone and tomorrow I may
decide you CANNOT have a bone. It's strictly up to me.

 she's not mean and she loves to play but i have never really seen this side
of her.

***Girldogs can be quite fickle.

so what's any advice on why she's being like this and what i can do when he
stays for 3 weeks so he's not terrified.

***More time with her on leash doing things to please you. :-)

 also, the only other dog she's been like this with is her "sister" a 1
year-old ridgeback who lives upstairs and they see each other every day and
were raised together--she gets a little weird with her, too, out of the
blue, she gets mad and will raise her lip or snap suddenly--never fighting,
but just snap.  what should i do?

***Oh, so this isn't a new behavior.  Your girl needs more restrictions, not
so much freedom to self gratify, and many more opportunities each day to
serve you.  Serving you and being rewarded for it will prompt her to seek to
serve you rather than to act impulsively because serving you gives her the
things she craves most.

Ruth Reynolds