----- Original Message -----
From: "Jennifer Popp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> So my questions are: Is it just genetics that determine this type of
trait?
> Is it the socialization at a very young age? Does the puppy school make
that
> much of a difference in the social behaviour of dogs? Can anyone shed any
> light on this??

My firm belief is that you have a basic mammal, of whatever type, and then
from there that mammal interacts with the environment and develops into
whatever it  is going to be. I've raised many dogs, horses, cats, etc., and
observed countless more. I am a big fan of 50-50 nature/nurture, with the
scales sometimes tipping to nature if there is a serious imbalance or health
issue.

Eileen Morgan
The Mare's Nest
http://www.enter.net/~edlehman