Hugo is having a very slow recovery, still at the hospital, not making any
real progress.  They were concerned about an irregular heartbeat today and
did an ultrasound.  The cardiologist there felt his heart was structurally
sound so they decided not to be alarmed about this, that this is common in
large breed dogs.  I mentioned that I didn't think this had ever been heard
by the vet before and he was going to get more details from the
cardiologist.

They changed his pain medication from hydro morphone (I think that's what he
said, maybe it's morphine) and kept him on the fentinel patch.  They said
he's somewhat more alert now and they felt they may have had him
over-medicated.  He ate a slice of cheese from me the other day but other
than that has not been eating (very unusual for Hugo).

The surgeon admitted that he did not make a notation of fenestration during
the April surgery but that because it is his habit to do the fenestration he
believes he did.  I appreciated his honesty.

I will visit him tomorrow and it looks like he'll come home Saturday (but
not able to walk or stand yet).  I recall last time that he did not seem
comfortable with Torbutrol and wonder what the best pain medication for him
might be.  He has tolerated Rimadyl quite well, but will that be enough?
Last time they told us we could use Benedryl to help him sleep at night,
which did help.  If you have thoughts, please email me at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] as I'm on digest.

Donna and Hugo, SoCal