Hi Cindy

Our boy Bacchus was diagnosed with a partially torn ACL when he was 4. It
came on very suddenly also, one day he was just laying there and moved and
yelped. When he stood up he was holding his right rear leg up. After
diagnosis from the vet, we kept him on leash walks and crate rest [when we
weren't home, so he wasn't tempted to charge the doors or windows to protect
the home from squirrels]. For the next couple of weeks, he would move wrong
[oddly enough, usually while laying down] and yelp, but was okay 80% of the
time. After about a month he was fine....however we did make some permanant
changes.

We were starting drafting and decided against it. Between the ACL injury and
dysplasia in the left front elbow, we felt it was unwise to continue and
tempt fate. We had taught him to come "up" for kisses sometimes [he would
stand on his rear legs and look me square in the eye....lol]. We had to stop
that too. The "up" part didn't seem to bother him, but the "going back down"
to all 4's caused him pain.

Bacchus is now 7 and has not needed surgery [knock on wood]. He still does
his "cutting horse" routine out in the backyard and continues to protect us
from squirrels.

I would be interested in hearing from others that have dealt with a
partially torn ACL.....how many have had to have surgery?

Cathi with Bacchus and Ari