SEAVARIDGE'S WINSTON POOHBEAR
January 8, 1998 ~ January 4, 2003

It is with profoundsadness and a broken heart that I write to tell you that my Winston crossed the Rainbow Bridge this morning, January 4, 2003 at 10:30 a.m. He was diagnosed with Malignant Histiocytosis on Tuesday, December 31, 2002, just four short days ago. He had refused food for the first time in his life on Monday, December 23rd, but we thought that the medication he was taking for his recently diagnosed PRA (Progressive Retinal Atrophy) was causing him to have an upset stomach. By Christmas Day he was not eating much and was lethargic. We took him to a vet from our Three Rivers' Bernese Mountain Dog Club, Dr. Larry Gerson, and he did x-rays, blood work and an EKG on December 26th. By Friday morning, December 27th, he was not drinking or eating at all and was becoming very weak. He was hospitalized and placed on IVs from Friday through Sunday, when we brought him back home around noon. He had an appointment with a vet internist on Monday, December 30th and she did a sonogram and other tests and we picked him up around 6 p.m. that evening to bring him home. We got the diagnosis of Malignant Histiocytosis on Tuesday, December 31st. Winston was such a sweet Berner and always did whatever we asked of him. I fed him pureed food with a syringe and gave him water that way too until the prednisone kicked in and he began to drink some water. I have spent practically ever minute, except when I was at work on Wednesday and Friday, since then cuddling with him, telling him that I loved him and that it was okay to go to the Rainbow Bridge when he was ready. This morning we took him to our vet and he was euthanized, because his liver had failed and he was so very sick. He went peacefully, embraced by Bill and me as I told him that I loved him so very much. I guess that one of the reasons that they haven't been able to find a cure for Malignant Histiocytosis is that it takes our Berners so quickly that there is no time to try to find treatments that might work. Winston is now playing at the Rainbow Bridge with our first Berner, Bern Aare Jamar and our first dog, our beagle, Gwendolyn's Bobdog.

We had the vet draw blood before Winston was euthanized so he can be part of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center study on Malignant Histiocytosis. This is the same study that we just raised about $3,800 (plus matching funds) on the Berner-l AKC CHF Fundraiser. Little did I know at that time that Winston would be participating because he had been diagnosed with Malignant Histiocytosis. Winston is still working to help the breed, even though he isn't here with us physically anymore. I would encourage other who are faced with this diagnosis to participate in this study, too. If you have a Berner who is ten years old or older and has never been diagnosed with Malignant Histiocytosis, please participate also. You can contact Pat Long to get the instructions and tubs for the blood donation for the study at: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Winston was so special - when he was a puppy, everyone referred to his as "Mr. Congeniality." Winston and I went everywhere together and did so many interesting things. We loved to be with each other and enjoyed training for obedience and drafting. We were a team and I know that he enjoyed doing things with me as much as I enjoyed doing them with him.

Winston was a gift from my son and his wife (Jay and Lisa) and he was the most wonderful gift that there ever was. We bonded immediately and that bond only got stronger as we did more things together. Winston was our second Berner ~ Bern Aare, our first Berner, lived to be 9 years old and died of mast cell tumors in his chest. I vowed then that I would always have another Berner and Winston was an answer to that prayer. When I got Winston I didn't know there was a Bernese Mountain Dog of America or that there was such a thing as the Berner-l. It was because of Winston that I found so many wonderful and caring friends, who are just as dedicated to Berners as we are.

Pat Long 'roped me in' and encouraged me to do a "little raffle" on the Berner-l in November 1998 and it just snowballed from there - and all because of my little Winston. I have been committed to raising money for health research, rescue and other Berner causes and my commitment has just soared beyond what it had previously been. Winston will be my guiding light in raising money to fight Malignant Histiocytosis and other diseases that devastate our beloved Berners and take them from us so much too soon. I will not succumb to 'gloom and doom' - it has no place in my life and is counterproductive to helping to make a difference in our breed. I will look back at the things that Winston and I have accomplished together - his CD, CGC, TDI ~ his "almost" draft title on three separate occasions - his visits to the nursing home to bring smiles to the faces of those who loved dogs in their lifetimes.

He was so happy and energized when he was taking my 3 ½ year old granddaughter, Ella, for rides in his personalized cart. My talented artist son-in-law, Gary did a beautiful painting of Winston on the side of his cart to make it very special. When my daughter and her family were here for Christmas, Winston wasn't feeling very well and was lying with his head near the foot of our bed. Ella walked over to Winston and gave him some gentle pats and asked her mother, "Is it alright if I give Winston a kiss?" Of course Gwen said "Yes." Ella bent over Winston and gave him the most tender kiss and hug that I've ever seen. I'm so happy that we were all together at Christmas so they could all say good bye to Winston.

Winston still lives in me and in the hearts of those who knew and loved him. May you all have the same pleasure of loving your berners like I loved Winston. May you receive the adoring looks that Winston gave to me, from your special Berner. Winston won't get to celebrate his fifth birthday next Wednesday, but he accomplished so much and gave such love and joy to our family and friends in the short time he was with us.

Go play at the Rainbow Bridge, sweet Winston. You will meet many friends there while you wait for us to all be together again.

Hug your Berners and tell them how much you love them.

Hugs,
Joye and Bill Neff (Samantha and Ben)
Mt. Lebanon, Pittsburgh, PA
In memory of SeaVaRidge's Winston Poohbear (1998-2003) - Malignant Histiocytosis
In memory of Bern Aare Jamar (1985-1994) - Mast Cell Cancer
In memory of Gwendolyn's Bobdog (1971-1985) - Old Age