Mary, Jim and the Girls-

I am sure there are many more owners and breeders out there who would have a
more defined answer to your question, but here is my opinion.  I am a "pet"
owner of my second Berner. I believe that any dog, Berner or not, born to a
responsible breeder, should be registered with the AKC.  I would think that
any responsible breeder would require their pups to be registered.  Aside
from showing on a professional level, you may find that Nola is a terrific
obedience or agility dog and may want to pursue "fun" competition as opposed
to conformation "showing".  I like to see what my dog enjoys.  Okay, begging
is NOT a competition.  <G>  I believe that all Bernese Mountain Dogs, with
their genetic pre-dispositions and history should be OFA'd and/or PennHip'd,
(hips and elbows), CERF'd and have Heart clearances.  VonWillebrand's and
DNA testing are not as important to me as a pet/non-breeding owner.   I
believe that every Bernese Mountain Dog should be registered with
BernerGarde.   I believe that the only way to save our breed from it's own
genetic frailties is through the registering and disseminating of this
information.  I know this is probably more information than you asked for.
My current Berner is a BARC dog, bred in Hungary.  She was not eligible for
an AKC registration, so I applied for and was given and ILP (Indefinite
Listing Privilege).  She is high energy and we are doing agility classes.
If she ever decides she wants to compete in agility, she can!  She has been
CERF'd, Heart checked and will be OFA'd and PennHip'd when she is two years
old.  Not because I need this information, but because the future of our
breed depends on this information.  So, register Nola and go for it!!

Janice Parky and Halley,
BARC's Comet Comes Home

 > Can I get your opinions on how important is or not to have your dog AKC
registered?
> What are the pros? We have the forms from Nola's breeder, but haven't sent
them yet, now we're wondering if it's really that important. (we don't plan
to breed. Or show on a professional level)