Hi Sherri,

All these classes can get confusing particularly since
many of them are only offered at a Specialty Show and
not at the regular Conformation Shows.

> I guess the Altered classes are judged
> separately...like a separate show?
> When are they done?

Yes, the Sexually Altered Classes are judged
separately - like a show within a show. A Sexually
Altered (ALT) Championship is earned in the same
fashion as the regular championship - the show is
identical in every respect, except that only
neutered/spayed dogs may enter the ALT classes.

All altered-males first compete for best Altered-
Male, and ribbons are awarded for placements 1st
through 4th.  The same process is done for the
altered-Females.  The Winners Male and Winners Female
then compete for Best Altered in Breed.

Points are awarded as follows:

1 - 2  dogs in the class equals  1 Pt.
3 - 5 dogs in the class equals  2 Pts
6 - 9 dogs in the class equals  3 Pts.
10 -12 dogs in the class equals 4 Pts.
13 +  dogs in the class equals 5 Pts.

Ten points are need for an Altered CH, just like for
an regular CH. The CH(ALT) is separate from the
regular Ch, so if your dog earned its championship and
was then neutered, you can still compete for a
CH(ALT).

Altered classes are usually held at the end of the
Specialty Show, if there is only one conformation
judge assigned to the Specialty (this is normally the
case). The altered classes may be held in separate
ring and run concurrent to the regular class judging,
if there is a second conformation judge assigned to
the Sexually Altered and non-regular classes (This
will happen if there is a very large entry at a
Specialty show).

US dogs can come to Canada and compete in the
Altered-class, but they need to have to get an ERN
(event registration number) from the CKC to earn
points and that requires that the dog have a full AKC
registration (not a limited registration, on which
pets are usually sold). A breeder can change a limited
registration to full registration (temporarily, if
necessary) to apply for the ERN. There will be a
charge for changing the registration. There is also a
charge for the ERN.

How to get an ERN number is explained on
http://www.dogbiz.com/dog-shows-can/show-ern-num-ckc.htm

You can show your AKC registered dog (on a full
registation) without an ERN number by just paying the
listing fee ($4.28) -- but if you win any points
you'll have to get an ERN number within 30 days of the
shows or you will forfeit the win and your points will
go to the reserve winner. Some people wait to see if
they win any points at a show prior to doing the paper
work to get an ERN number.

Are you even more confused now Sherri :-)

> And what exactly is For Exhibition only?  when do
> those dogs show?

Exhibition-only allows pure-bred dogs that are not
entered in any of the classes officially attend the
show (dogs not entered in the show are not allowed
into the show site, unless they are entered in
exhibition-only). The dogs are assigned a number and
listed in the catalogue like all the other dogs in the
show. It also allows dogs that may not want to show in
regular classes at a dog show to be entered in the
Sweepstakes or non-regular classes (ie, brace, stud
dog, brood bitch).

> Also, Can you help with the rules for regular
> Veterans classes as far as altered vs
> not?

In CKC Specialty shows, dogs over 7 years of age
entered in regular veteran's class may be spayed or
neutered (this is not allowed in the US). The Veterans
may or may not have completed a championship to be
entered (ie, Specials can be entered in this class).
The regular veterans classes are NOT divided into age
groups (ie,7-8 years, 9-10 years, over 10) like they
are in the veteran Sweepstakes. The male veterans
class is held after the Winners Dog competition and
the veterans bitch class is held after Winners Bitch
competition.  The best veteran dog in class and the
best veteran bitch in class then go on to compete in
the Best of Breed competition with the Winners Dog and
Winners Bitch and all the Specials (dog with CKC
championships). A prize is usually awarded to the Best
Veteran in Specialty Show which is decided between the
best male and female veteran at the end of the Best of
Breed judging. Just as a note, the Best of Breed
winner in the BMDCC 1999 Specialty was the veteran dog
(however, this dog was not neutered).

I hope I've explained that clearly enough. This dog
show stuff is complicated when you have to write it
all out.

=====