Oh I love this thread.
Reason being, my Altered Male took Alt. Winners Male and Best Altered in
Breed at the Bernese Specialty in October 2002, in Abbottsford, B.C. Canada.
For a total of 3 points towards his Alt.Ch. I was very pleased with my boy
and we both had great fun.
 We had entered him in the previous Specialty 2 years ago in the same
location, but didn't fair as well, he was only 18 months at the time, his
first show and mine as well, and he was up against 3 other Can. Ch Males, no
hope competing against finished mature dogs. But this past October was
different, he surprised me! he went out there and strutted his stuff, he
really enjoys the ring and it gives me experience as well, and we came home
with 3 wonderful big rosettes and a trophy to boot!
As we don't travel much showing, (as much as I would like) to compete at all
the specialties to finish him, it will be a long process, but we will enter
him in the next specialty that is close to us, and hopefully there will be
more competition for better points.
Yes I agree that finished dogs should not compete against unpointed Altered
dogs, but this is not always a bad thing, we competed against finished
champions at this last show, some with both Am.and Can Championships, and we
came out alright! I think it is a great class to be offered at the
Specialties, but would be nicer if it was offered at regular shows as well.
I am hoping one day to get our boys Alt.Ch before his name, but time will
tell, and I will be very pleased with him if he does.

Wendy & "Elliot" Bernerbay's Amadeus Mozart - 7 more points to go!!!
Vernon, B.C.