ORIGINAL POST:
From:"Jenn and Scott Waldron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I have been reading a lot about the BARF diet and have heard a lot of positive things and no negatives. Are there any draw backs to a raw diet? Does a raw diet make the dog more aggressive and less domesticated? And finally, I have read that it is less expensive to feed a raw diet than commercial, I cant see how this is possible. Anyone with any information on draw backs of this diet please let me know.
Jenn (and soon very soon Charlie)<<<

Hello, Jenn, and WELCOME to your new baby Charlie! Let me first tell you that the issue of raw diets (and BARF -- Biologically Appropriate Raw Foods, or Bones and Raw Foods) has caused some serious firestorms on this list in the past. I think it was decreed that there would be no further DISCUSSION of the pros and cons of raw versus kibble on this list. Anyone interested in raw diets is more than welcome to join the NaturalBerners group at yahoogroups.com (go to www.yahoogroups.com, search for NaturalBerners, and then follow the instructions to join). On that list, you'll also find a lot of Berner owners practicing or interested in a more "natural" approach to Berner health. Please join us and ask all the questions you'd like.

The time and money required for a raw diet depend on many factors, and I'd prefer to get into detail either privately or through the NaturalBerners list. I CAN state emphatically that a raw diet does NOT affect a dog's aggressiveness! As a matter of fact, someone was recently discussing on one of the raw lists the fact that her dogs will enthusiastically devour rabbit carcasses, yet play very gently and lovingly with their pet rabbits. The only drawback I've found is that it does take more thought and planning than pouring something out of a bag.

I would like to state that no one should start a raw or BARF diet without thoroughly researching it, learning everything they can from several prominent experts, and discussing it with people who have been doing it for a while. It's no more difficult than feeding a human family a wholesome, well-balanced, nutritious diet, but we all had to learn how to do that also.

Hug that baby Charlie for us!

Vicky Whitney in Bozeman, Montana, with
Blackcoral Divine Miss "M" (Maddie) CD NDD CGC Delta/ITA Therapy Dog (3)
Sascha's Ursa Major CGC Delta/ITA Therapy Dog (19 months)