In a message dated 2/23/2003 8:37:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> do you have any inputs about the charateristics of the two breeds and
>  how they compare in regards to family life with young children?

Talkin gabout dogs of correct temperament for their breed, someone once said
that "Goldens feel they were put on this earth to serve you, whereas Berners
believe they are here to work with you."

I think this is a fairly good summation if you think about their roots.  As a
working breed, the Bernese was bred to 'think' things through.  The opening
line of the first standard for the breed in the US (1937-1980) stated that
the BMD is a "combination of sagacity, fidelity, and utility."  That sums it
up pretty well and gives an idea of the training necessary to channel that
"sagacity" in an agreeable way.

OTOH, sporting breeds like the Golden were bred for finely honed instincts
and the unquestioning commitment to use them in the service of man.

I think that Bernese can make extraordinary family dogs and be wonderful with
children.  I also think that to make that a reality requires concerted effort
in selection of breeder and litter AND considerable training.

Goldens can also make extraordinary family dogs and be wonderful with kids.
They also have suffered the fate of indiscriminate breeding so correct
temperament can't be taken for granted.

I do think that there may be more wiggle room in the raising of a GR vs a
BMD.  The BMD may be more inclined to take charge if he perceives a power
vacuum.  He may be more skilled in his manipulation of people.  And the BMD
is likely more prone to behaviors designed to 'protect' his family as this
was one of the traits most valued (and bred for) in the early days of the
breed.  Therefore, it's the owner's responsibility to teach his Berner
appropriate and inappropriate responses to the things that trigger this
behavior.

Either way, we're talking in generalities and about dogs iwth *correct* and
*stable* temperaments.  THAT'S your challenge for either breed...finding the
breeders who make temperament a high priority in their breeding program and
have a strong track record as a result.

-Sherri Venditti