Hi,

I too agree that wearing a collar while unsupervised can be a fatal
situation.
Dogs like to jump up after things that are above them, even if standing on
their hind legs.
If the collar loops over something when they are in the air then the collar
acts as a "hanging noose" when they come back down.
A friend of mine also had two dogs get collars caught while playing, she got
them undone, thank goodness she was home like Terry, but when the dog whose
jaw was stuck came loose it snapped it's mouth together and nipped of the
end of my friend's little finger! Required the emergency room. Luckily the
two four month old puppies were ok.
They make "break away" collars for cats who might get stuck while climbing.
I guess if these are not available for dogs, and you really want a collar on
while you are away it would be easy enough to make a break away collar by
buying  a nylon collar, cut it into two, then tape it, or loosely stitch it
together to hold, but only hold a light amount of pressure before tearing
apart.

Bernerly,

Mary

Jeff & Mary Chapdelaine
SnoBear Berners
N. California, USA
http://snobear.freeyellow.com

"When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
 Wayne Dyer - Psychotherapist, Author and Speaker