Hi Lisa Jayne,

Never never never leave a chain choke collar or any other type of choke or
martingale collar on an unattended dog. These are training collars only to
be used when the dog is on leash with a human on the other end:-)

I personally do not leave collars on the majority of my dogs because they
play together and I do not want their jaws to get caught in another's
collar.

If a dog is to be tied out for any reason then a broad flat buckle collar
is preferable, for daily use for the single family pet with a thick coat a
rolled leather buckle collar is best as it won't cut the hair and make a
ring around the neck.

Here in Canada many houses are heated and cooled using forced air which
means the dog in summer may hog the vent. If he has tags on his collar this
is another accident waiting to happen as the tags get caught in the vent
while he sleeps and then when he wakes  he'll have the vent grill hanging
off his neck which will send a nervous dog into flight mode!

Rose T.